Friday, September 23, 2016

Sarah Calderon
Ms. Bjork
AP Studio Art A3
21 September, 2016
10 Works Artist Statement- Spurious
10 works in a week? Sounds a little crazy (and it was), but I think all us AP Art Students can say it helped change us for the better. Not only did this project help us manage my time better, but creating 10 pieces in a range of medias, sizes, and styles based around my word, spurious was a good way to experiment with what worked and what didn’t.
When brainstorming, I first created a list of synonyms for spurious: false, fake,bogus,  sham, fraud, forgery, phony, simulated, deception, etc. After visually journaling a whole page of words, I finally landed on the word “Misconceptions”, things that are believed to be true but are ultimately false, such as the idea of “Happily Ever After”, politicians’ promises, the emotions behind emojis.
Overall, I think I was successful in creating better, more complex compositions than my summer pieces, as well as created pieces that had more meaningful to me. By really stretching my definition of my word, as well as incorporating my own opinions and views, it was more fun to create my pieces. Also, working with different media helped me improve artistically; I feel my best pieces use at least 2 different medias, whether it’s calligraphy (india ink) on book pages or my charcoal and pastel drawing.
Regardless of my successes, there’s always a way to improve. For me, I believe that some pieces

that could be improved were my pieces focused of wealth versus poverty. I was trying to work in with

blurry, heavy brushstrokes, however with how much time I had, trying to change my style didn’t work.

Overall, just improving my craftsmanship would help bring my pieces to the next level.




    

No comments:

Post a Comment